Monday, May 25, 2009

Arthur Erickson


I was fortunate enough to be assigned to photograph Arthur Erickson for the Globe and Mail’s Report on Business magazine some 8 or 9 years ago. I remember he was dressed immaculately. He had agreed to 15 minutes for me to take his portrait. As we worked we talked between shots and eventually we wound up talking about photography. At the time I thought myself clever for having touched upon a subject that Mr Erickson found interesting and indeed seemed well versed in. In hindsight I think Arthur was just trying ease a young photographer’s nerves. In any event, he made a comment about believing the square format to be the perfect format to photograph in, because it is the truest approximation of our natural field of view. That stuck with me and every now again I stare off into space exploring my peripheral vision, examining it for edges and corners…

Anyway, he gave me 25 minutes and shook my hand as we said goodbye. I remember him as a gentleman and a warm conversationalist.

No comments: